Saturday, April 12, 2008

My First Winter in DC

Technically, I've lived through 25 winters, but this particular winter was very special for me. Now, I realize there are a few of you out there from the mid-west or New York, who have lived through sub-zero winters but you can write about that in your blog. This is my blog and so we're going to talk about my first east-coast winter.

I realized it was over earlier this week when the low for the day was 46 degrees and I remembered how desperate I was for the weather to hit 30 degrees during winter. I somehow learned that 28 degrees for me was nearly insufferable, but 30 was something I could tolerate.

Winter was especially hard with the loss of all my winter clothes (see UPS blog). I decided to spend my first snow day inside- not just because it was snowing but because I think I was hungover. :) I finally chose to meet some friends at a Dupont bar for drinks and put on my boots, gloves, and scarf. The snow was cold, the breeze felt like pin pricks across my bare face, and my head was cold and naked. But I also remember being in awe over how beautiful the snow-covered nights were in DC. The moon was somehow brighter and the snow lying on the sidewalks and houses appeared to glow under the street lights. Nonetheless, I was miserable and ran out the next day to buy four hats and ear muffs (quite possibly my favorite possession, next to my teddy bear and chapstick).

I also used to be close to tears over the 'long' walk from Farragut North (18th and I) to Sign of the Whale (M between 18th and 19th). Every uncovered part of my body was in pain, my body was tense, my breadth became this enormous cloud of fog in front of me. Now, I walk from G and 23rd to Sign of the Whale and marvel over how close the distance is. But somehow, when the whether hit 15 degrees, sub zero with the windchill, that seemed like a lifetime away.

But winter is gone and already, it's a distant memory in my mind. I spent the weekend enjoying 80 degrees in my sun dress and short, summer hair, enjoying the purple, yellow, the white flowers I see everywhere, the white and red daffodils that seem to have been planted over night, and the trees that though bare still, are now dotted with little green buds.

I survived my first winter living on the east coast and I have at least one more to go. Though Spring and Fall are still my favorite seasons, I realize now that there's something to be said about snowy winter nights. Not a lot, but something... :)

No comments: