Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Celeb gossip

A year ago this time, I was obsessed with celebrity gossip. I watched the tmz show, I constantly hit "refresh" on people.com/usmagazine.com/perezhilton.com/tmz.com- you get the idea. In fact, everytime I was bored at work, I went to one of those sites (this was often).

And then one day, my best friend- the girl who sent ME gossip- told me she'd gone cold turkey, like she was battling a bad addiction. I asked her why, wondering who would replace her as my source of barely-heard celeb gossip. She said that she realized she was part of the reason the papparrazzi (sp?) fawned (and arguably contributed to the demise of) people like Britney and Lindsay (who I was completely obsessed with- I mean, she's a cute, freckled redhead who was heading towards disaster).

I immediately realized she was right and was dutifully ashamed of myself. But my life was so boring! And there's wasn't. So I turned to there's to hear what was going on- new party spots, new boy toys, new DUIs. But that day, I, too, went cold turkey on the celeb gossip.

And my life suddently stopped being boring. I had a great boyfriend, grad school, a great summer job, friends a-plenty, Argentina. And now, it's gone back to desperately boring as I study for my impossible final on Friday. I've been holed up in my apartment, leaving only to take my laundry to be done (a half block away) or to buy bread to make a sandwhich. So, when utter boredom/avoidance strikes, I've gotten in the habit of turning back to a few (semi-reputable) sources and check in w/ people.com and usmagazine.com.

Only now I realize, their lives aren't that exciting at all. Why was I ever obsessed with those girls? I mean, sure, they're not stressing about finding jobs or paying off their student loans, but what else do they have going for them? I'm not going to lie- celebs are still alluring, but my almost year away from gossip made me realize that I'm just not that into it. Or maybe I'm just saying that b/c Britney and Lindsay have temporarily gotten their lives back on track? Who knows. But while I had a momentary relapse after nearly a year, I am going cold turkey starting today. Ok, Saturday, after my final/reason for avoidance ends

However, if anything hits the fan- or Brad and Angelina finally decide to adopt a Latino baby, someone shoot me a quick email so I don't miss anything!

No comments: