Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Going Stag

Urgh I can't believe it has been so long since I last wrote. I feel like I haven't had much to say- or rather I haven't had a whole lot of inspiration. And I'm fairly certain that my blog has a following of one (that one being myself) so it's not like I've been leaving my fans hanging.

But today, I arrived at my cozy little apartment in such a great mood after a slightly sweaty bike ride home and I felt inspired to write about a small, somewhat irrelevant conversation I had with a friend today. We were at the park with the two pups- the love of my life Leche and his roommate's dog. We do this often, perhaps 2 to 3 times a week. Only now the weather is turning so pleasant that I revel in my time with Leche at the park. I asked him the time- I try to take her for at least an hour- and he asked me why I can't just look at my phone. Well, I never bring my phone on walks. Just my pup, her leash, a toy or two, and of course, her waste receptacles (more often known as poo bags). He harped on me that I should bring my phone and I was quick to respond that I actually always intentionally left my phone at home.

And as I peddled my way home from work today, marveling at the perfectly chilled spring air, I recalled this conversation and started thinking about why I never take my phone during me and pup time.

You read about it over and over- today's society is obsessed with being connected. And it is so true. And we have severe ADD about it. I read an article once that we spend a ridiculously small amount of time on each web page and during each session, we click on an incredibly large amount of sites. So if you're anything like me, you browse one page after the other until something actually catches our eyes. And of course, now it's even worse because we all have a smartphone or an iPad or- SOMETIMES EVEN BOTH.

I became obsessed with being connected- always knowing what's going on in DC or on FB. My phone only made it worse. Only now my phone is half functioning so I've started to be slightly less attached. My home button doesn't work and I'm holding out for the iPhone 5- you have no idea how important your home button is until it's gone. Really.

Regardless, I digress. So walk time became me time. An opportunity to completely lose myself in one of my favorite things- playing with my puppy. I love watching her play because of that pure innocence she has, similar to how some people love watching babies sleep. I love watching her puppy pounce and her waggy tail and the way her jowls shake in the wind when she's taking off after another pup. She's the happiest creature in the world and I love being a part of it and making that crazy tail wag. Now, I could dedicate an entire blog site to how much I love my pup and pits in general, but this particular post is more about how I love being disconnected.

It turns out, I never miss much. When I get back from my hour long walk, I go back online and absolutely nothing has changed. I'm not sure why I expect things to be different in an hours time, but somehow, I always do. We always feel that time flies by but when we stop and think about it, it actually goes by slowly. Change is a gradual process.

And to be frank, I find it annoying when my friend is on his phone during our park hour. I wonder what can't possibly wait til he gets back, what text message is so important or what phone call so dramatic that he has to stop talking to me mid-sentence and answer his phone.

My bottom line is that leaving my phone behind for that one hour a day makes me realize how un-important it is to be so attached at all times- especially when it distracts me from the things that do matter- like my pup and my bf.

I guess my actual real point is to tell you that it's ok- put your phone in your purse during dinner. Sleep with your phone in the other room. Play with your pup or your child. Maybe even read a book undisturbed for one hour. You might find that you like it. In the meantime, I'm going to go play with my pup some more (I lie- I'm going to go surf the web and call an old friend. Shhhhhh!)

3 comments:

Cayce said...

Hi Betty, I have your blog in my google reader, so you should know you have at least one follower :)

As for the subject of your post, I've never thought of my cell phone as a means to always be connected... it's driven my friends crazy at times because I don't always answer, but I use the phone more for my convenience than anybody else's. That said, I do take my phone on all my walks with Sasha. I don't answer it (unless it's Jonathan), but I like to have it with me just in case there is some kind of emergency.

Betty W. said...

Hi Cayce! I do have a fear of locking myself our or Leche running away and being stuck with no phone, but I used to use my phone more for silly reasons. I always figure I can flag down a nice stranger w/ a cell phone if need be- so definitely keep your phone on you. One day, a girl like me will be flagging you down on the streets of London to borrow your phone (though then I'd be worried that they actually want to steal my phone...:))

E said...

Hi Betty (and Cayce- BLAST FROM THE PAST, no?)!
READER HERE! Glad you're posting. Two things: (1) I'm actually thinking of returning my iPhone (gasp!). It's awesome but I keep thinking that it's a needless expense and I have a lot of the same thoughts you do re getting sucked into this internet black hole instead of doing things worthwhile with my time... and (2) I just read this article yesterday that sort of reviews a book that is about the constant access to internet and it addresses some of the same things you talked about and I "mhmm-ed" and "yes ma'am-ed" my way through it so I guess I'm just saying you should read it: http://nplusonemag.com/sad-as-hell