Sunday, November 25, 2007

Family.

This was my first Thanksgiving without my family. I rationalized with myself that somehow the best possible plan for me this year was to stay in DC for the holiday. Reasons for said decision: I had a paper to write, holiday travel is always so hectic- not to mention expensive- and it was only Thanksgiving after all. My family and I- being so small and often dysfunctional- have never been big on holidays. I thought we had very few traditions. Nothing that quite matches my friends family tradition of making (and eating) a birthday cake for Jesus at Christmas. My family has nothing like that.

Or so I thought. I realized this year, that my family has its own traditions. Though they lack the creativity or fanfare of birthday cake, we also did things I now realize I honestly miss. It wasn't until one of my friends pulled out the whipped cream that I remembered my dad- every year on Thanksgiving he would tip our heads back, make us open wide, and fill our mouths with whipped cream. He always 'accidentally' poured too much in and we'd end up with whipped cream all over our faces and in our hair (which btw, leaves a very, very rank smell). Or, though I always fuss and fight with her, my sister is one of those crazy American's obsessed with Black Friday sales and drags me out every year at some ungodly hour to join her on her quest to refresh my nephews wardrobe. Every year she proudly holds up her receipts and boldly announces that she bought 10 new ____ (fill in the blanks) for only ____!! What a steal.

I never want to go with her. Ever. But this year, when she called me at nine am (six am her time) to share with me how lucky she'd been that day, I really missed my family. Well, in all honesty, my first thought was 'is she nuts for calling me so early??', but once I recovered from that, I thought how much I miss her.

No one can replace my small and often dysfunctional and eccentric family. But this year, my first year away from them, it was that much easier to know I had two of my best girlfriends with me. Though they are also eccentric and as I like to say- 'special'- they are also my family.

So this year, to end my Thanksgiving weekend (and admittedly to put off writing my paper some more), I want to thank my family. My sister for insisting on checking up on me. Daily. Sometimes twice daily. Sometimes more. I'm not kidding either. (I love you sissy!) She is also one of few people privy to my ridiculous levels of cheesiness, who sings to me songs from "Annie" when I'm depressed ("the sun will come out... tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow..."). And my girlfriends. Who listen to me talk about my bf at least once an hour. Who understand why I gave it up for so long, why I wear heels all the time, and who put up with the fact that I won't eat fish, Japanese, peanut or coconut based curries or really anything that isn't Mexican, Thai, or Indian.

I have a lot to be thankful for this year... my masters, my crazy bf, my luxury suite of a bedroom... but I would have none of that if it wasn't for my family supporting me through all of it. I know I've said it before, but I really am a lucky girl. And yes, this is cheesy. But we've already established that that's just the way I am. :)

No comments: