Saturday, June 21, 2008

"I am living my life's mission."

That's a statement we ask our clients to answer on the scale from 1-5, 5 being that they most 'strongly agree' with the statement at hand. I read it over and over again this week as I spoke with our clients. Some of them would answer without pause and shout out 4 or 5. Some of them would hesitate and speak out loud to themselves, "well, that's where I'd like to be" or "ooo... that's a good question, am I?" And as I waited patiently for them to ponder over the topic, I realized that is a good question. "Am I (pause). Living my life's mission??"

I quickly came to the conclusion that I first have to know what my life's mission is. And as I covered the topic with our clients I thought to myself that of course I'm living my life's mission. That's when I paused to think that over. Not just conceptualize but verbalize what that really means. Does my life even have a mission? I'm not actually sure. I know I want to help people. But is that a mission? Is a mission the same as a purpose? Does my life have a purpose? Is it supposed to?

I have no clue. But yet, we expect all of our clients to be able to answer this, and quickly. I'll continue to ponder my life's mission... so that I can determine whether or not I'm living it. In the meantime, I suppose the best approach is to live it the way I think it should be lived: by making myself happy. Whatever that may be.

No comments: