Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What a great day for Californians

Today, gay couples in California began to get married with the same pride, dignity, and love, that straight couples head to the alter with everyday. One friend of mine said that I was so excited about this and wasn't sure why b/c I'm not even gay myself. I understand what she was trying to say- I took no offense to this. But my question to those that wonder why I'm so excited is simple: why aren't you? I think that one day, hopefully in my lifetime, children will be learning about the next civil rights movement that gave gay and straight couples the same rights and they're going to sit back and wonder why they didn't have those same rights to begin with, the way today, it's unbelievable that black people once had their own schools and couldn't drink from the same fountain or sit on the same bus bench. They are going to look up at their gay parents or their best friends amazing gay grandmother and ask them if that really happened and how people could be so cruel.

One man criticized California, saying that“marriage has traditionally been known, across continents and all geographical regions, as between a man and a woman." If we followed tradition, you might be a slave owner- unless of course, you were a minority and then you'd be nowhere. This has been a year of breaking tradition and recognizing wrong from right. Everyone lauded Hillary Clinton for being the first women to make it so far but I was appauled that it took so long for a woman to break tradition and get to where Hillary did.

I am always eager to let everyone know that I'm from California, but today, I am especially proud to be a part of a few states to recognize that marriage and love know no boundaries. Let everyone have their equal chance at a happily ever after (or even a divorce). I encourage everyone to vote against a CA constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in our state come November- we've all learned by now how much one vote matters.

Congratulations to all the happy couples!

No comments: