Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Argentina Classes

First, I'd like to say that I've always thought my Spanish wasn't really good enough for three post-graduate courses taught in Spanish. Now I know that I was absolutely right.

The problem is two fold: first, some of my professors speak at lightening speed, like the micro-machines car guy that guest starred as a teacher on Saved by the Bell. And second, when I do manage to generally understand the topic, it comes out that I actually know very little about Latin America. Which is tragically sad since my masters is focusing on Economic Development of Latin America. Granted, this is my second year of my program and only this year was supposed to start taking my Latin American courses, but that's no excuse.

I mean, I'm FROM Latin America. It's so close to the United States. I am an INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS student. And yet, I have no idea who these leaders in the 80s were, how these countries came to exist and how they got to where they are now. Generally I do- but only the part that involves Europe. Like, so-and-so western power colonized so-and-so in Latin America. I know a bit more than that, but overall, not enough to be able to actively participate in my class.

But never fear. That's what grad school is for- to expand my knowledge. That's also what Wikipedia is for. And so for the next few days, I will be devouring information on Wikipedia in hopes that my basic understanding of Latin American history grows enough to understand my professors. One of which, btw, graduated from Cal in '04 with a degree in Political Economy- like I did- and is now teaching me about Political Economy. Something about him being qualified and published makes him- once my classmate-- a well respected professor.

No comments: