Tuesday, January 29, 2008

No More Tequila's.

I read a status update on Facebook yesterday that said she was desperately craving social activities that didn't surround alcohol. I could feel her frustration and definitely sympathize because I've been there on more than one occasion. It seems as though at our age everything we do surrounds drinking. Dinner... and wine. Sports.... and beer. Dancing... and shots. Movies.... and whiskey. I realize that last one might just be me but in general, you get the point.

My friends in DC can attest to two things- one that I am now a lightweight and two, that I hardly go out anymore. The reason being that as a lightweight, I can't handle crazy nights of drinking that make me useless the next day when I have so much to do/study. And 80 to 90% of what my friends do surrounds crazy nights of drinking.

Don't get me wrong- I still love a crazy night out. Bottles of champagne, whiskey filled drinks, and shots of Jagger still warm my heart (and my stomach and my head...).

But I'm always looking for something else. I found a few things that don't require drinking- like marathons and salsa dancing, but they're few and far between.

So for Lent, I'm toying with the idea of giving up alcohol. No, not just hard liquor like last time (that conveniently left me a loop hole that allowed me to drink beer), but all of it. I keep telling my bf it might be kind of hard- Lent falls during my first visit to the bay (and therefore my first visit to my friends- which usually involves copious amounts of drinks and bottles of wine), my spring break (which will be spent on the beautiful beaches of Oaxaca with my boyfriend and a rowdy bunch of spring breakers), and the occasional bday and dinner party.

Even more reason I should challenge myself and give up Jose, Jack, and John for Lent. It will be hard and I'm still not sure I can (or will) do it, but I think it might be more important for me to try and fail (or succeed!) than to not even give it a shot- the failure might lie in not trying at all. I have until Feb. 6th to decide and in the meantime, I'll think about it while I celebrate my last day of work over margaritas and nachos.

3 comments:

Kiristen said...

Hahahaha. I am laughing because I remember you telling me that I should go out more (to drinking, clubbing activities etc) when you lived here. :) maybe you just wanted to spend lots of time with me :D I can't handle the all night partying anymore either. So I've adopted "day-time drinking" drinking at baseball games, happy hour, bbqs etc. good luck with your Lent goals. I like my beer and wine too much :)

Kiristen said...

not only did you drink tequila last week, you tried to get my bf to take a shot. bad influence.

Betty W. said...

hahaha. i remember no such thing. :P