Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pubs- or so I thought

As you may or may not know, I am on a quest to find a job in the microfinance industry. Or so I think today. Needless to say, that search led me to a great organization that I wanted to share with all of you. Kiva.org is a microlending institution that takes lending out of the hands of banks and into the hands of everyday common people like us. Now, I know what you are thinking, what IS microlending?

Microfinance institutions operate under the idea that most of the worlds poor people- if given the opportunity- could alleviate their own poverty through their entrepreneurial skills. These organizations, therefore, lend money to various groups of people all over the world- sometimes $50, sometimes $500- to populations that wouldn't otherwise have access to capital. Studies have found that the repayment rate for these types of loans is about 98%, far higher than the repayment rate of the average person (that would be you and I).

Back to Kiva. They allow you to pick a person or a group in any region and loan them money directly (well, through their website, you're not going to fly out to Zaire to give anyone money). I decided to loan $25 to this particular group of five women in Uganda. http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=32644

I did that because their main activity read "Pub" and I thought it was awesome that they were opening a pub. Upon closer inspection, I don't actually think that's what they are doing but nonetheless, with a few clicks, I just donated $25 to five women in Uganda. I quickly and easily became a part of microfinance industry that works solely to alleviate poverty in the world. I have to admit, helping five women in Uganda run a business from my warm chair in DC is pretty amazing. Having just quit my job I'm not one to throw around money, but $25 is such a small effort on my part that I had to do it. I hope you find this as exciting as I do and lend out a bit of cash and become part of the microfinance movement that strives to end poverty.

1 comment:

Kiristen said...

I think that this is very cool. I will be lending. Is similar to my favorite charity, Heifer International. Thanks for the info.